Born in Venice, 6 May 1970.
Full Professor in Ecology, Department of Biology - University of Padova.
ORCID ID: 0000-0002-6963-2132
FORMATION AND PREVIOUS POSITIONS:
2011-2017: Associate Professor in Ecology, University of Padova.
2001-2011: Researcher in Ecology, University of Padua.
2000 - 2001: post-doc, University of Padua.
2000: PhD in Evolutionary Biology at the University of Padua.
1995: Bachelor in Biological Sciences summa cum laude at the University of Padua.
LZ research is focused on the study of marine organisms by molecular markers. Research activity includes markers development and their application in studies ranging from molecular systematics to the study of mating systems. Most of LZ studies have been performed on marine populations, with a special focus on the inference of patterns of genetic structuring, of effective genetic population size and on the estimation of the historical demography of organisms relevant for conservation or management. LZ research is currently moving toward the integration of empirical genetic data with population modelling approaches, with the goal to achieve a better comprehension of the relative importance of recent evolutionary events (paleoclimatic changes, biogeographic events) versus contemporary factors (current mediated larval dispersal, population size drops due to global changes or human harvesting) in shaping intraspecific patterns of genetic diversity. On a complementary perspective, LZ research on populations in the wild is currently conducted also at the gene expression level, after the achievement of 454 high throughput sequencing of transcriptomes from non-model organism such as eels, icefish, and scallops (see for instance http://compgen.bio.unipd.it/eeelbase/).
• President of the Degree Courses in Biology, Marine Biology and Evolutionary Biology of the University of Padova.
• CONISMA delegate for Padova University.
• Teacher of Ecology, Molecular Ecology, Ecology and Population Genetics, Phylogeography. Over 1500 hours of teaching as professor.
• For his research on Antarctica, LZ was awarded with the 2004 prize "Felice Ippolito" for young researchers assigned by the Accademia dei Lincei.
• 92 articles on journals with Impact Factor. Total IF over 300, 3468 citations on ISI journals (Scopus, 28/02/2018), H index = 26 (Scopus, 28/02/2018). LZ published on Nature, PNAS and top journals of his field such as Molecular Ecology, Advances in Marine Biology, Diversity and Distributions.
• The article "Strategies for microsatellite isolation: a review" (Zane et al. 2002), where extant methods for microsatellite isolation were reviewed and an original protocol developed has been ISI fast breaking paper in the field "Environment-Ecology". 1287 citations on Scopus at Feb 2018.
• Reviewer for more than 20 international journals and for two international research foundations. Top Reviewer for Molecular Ecology 2012 and 2014. Academic Editor of PLoSOne.
• Reviewer for the Italian MInistry of University and Research (PRIN, Futuro in Ricerca, VQR).
• PI or CoPI of national and international projects (full details at http://compgen.bio.unipd.it/~molecol/ZaneL.html)
Updated list of pubblications available at http://scholar.google.it/citations?user=ow-iAHwAAAAJ&hl=it